Tuesday, April 27, 2010

No Time Like The Present

IStock Photo 7870014 © Rob Friedman

I want to admit this first and foremost, if this is the Frankie that we are going to get all season, I want to take back every mean thing I have ever said about him. I know a lot of people were wondering if we would ever get the Frankie back from 2006 and from before he had his surgery and I think we have that pitcher and then some this season. I know at the beginning of the season he was the one starting pitcher I was the most concerned with after a few of his outings last season, but watching him this year, I apparently was worried about the wrong one!

I would have loved to have been a fly in the area of home plate tonight to either hear or see what Denard did to get thrown out of the game. I have never seen him get that mad before, he always seems so calm and collected even after a bad call, so I'm not sure what set him off tonight. Denard just doesn't strike me as the type of person that looses his cool easy, so it must of been something major during tonight's game. And of course since MLB is cracking down on the players tweeting, we'll probably never know the answer to that question.

With how well the team has been playing this season I know I shouldn't complain about a single thing, but after tonight's game, I need to complain. They left 12 runners on base tonight and were 1 for 10 with runners in scoring position. That's just horrible! All these games we lost by 1 or even 2 runs could have been won if the guys would have been able to capitalize on the guys left on base. Yeah a few guys need to be swinging the bat better I.E. Jason Kubel and even Denard, but when those guys to and get on base, everyone after them in the line up seems to freeze and forget how to bring everyone else home.

I think if they could get that worked out, this team could really be the team to beat this season. Not that I don't think they already are, but they are just stranding too many guys on base. Perfect example was Denard's triple tonight and they just leave him hanging there looking like a loser. I felt bad for him, after all that and then he just gets left there. Hopefully this is something they can get better at as the season goes on and if they do it's only going to get better from here.

On a final note, hopefully Justin's back isn't too bad and he'll be back after a day off and a little bit of R&R.

No comments: