Monday, October 12, 2009

All Good Things Must Come To An End

Last night, sitting in those blue seats of the Metrodome for the very last time, it didn't seem real that the place a generation has grew up with was closing it's doors for it's last Major League Game. I know I have no room to talk, as last season was my first year actually attending a major league baseball game in person, but after how many games I've been to this season, the Dome has pretty much become my home away from home.

I had friends from out of state texting me last night after the game was over, telling me they were pulling for our beloved Twins in hopes of defeating the Yankees at least once and that we, as Twins fans, should hold our heads high because of what the team accomplished in the last month. That we had nothing to hang our heads over.

Three weeks ago, if you would have told me that the guys would have to play game 163, again, and actually make it to the post season, I would have laughed at you because I was one of many that counted them out. But the drive and determination of this team reminded me, you never give up on your team because they will come back and surprise you in ways you never thought possibly.

Fans in Twins Territory, along with the whole team, have nothing to be ashamed of this season. Our team played some amazing games this season, especially these last 3 against the Evil Empire. They didn't just roll over and let the Yankees walk all over them, they made them fight for it, which I am super proud of. We had some major players go down early this season with injuries, even later this season, and the rest of the team stepped up and took over where the "leaders" left off.

I think the perfect example in this, and yes call me bias if you want, was Cuddy. He was the team cheerleader and to watch him take over at first with Justin going down was amazing. He has stepped it up so much this season and I felt so bad for him at the beginning of the season when everyone I talked to would give him crap wondering when he would cave again or get injured and find himself back in Triple A. But he stepped it up and tried to carry this team the later part of the season.

This team has so much to be proud of this season. We've got Joe Mauer with his third batting title, the team brought one last division title to the Dome and a million more memories for everyone to remember for the rest of our lives. I know I will never forget the atmosphere in that Dome for game 163.

Now it's time for us to move to Target Field and make some new memories and enjoy a new ballpark that a whole new generation can get to call home.

No comments: